Interested in driving a school bus?
Procedures for School Bus Driver Endorsement
Contained in this document you will find the steps that you must take to
become licensed as a school bus driver. The document is broken down into
three (3) phases to simplify the process as much as possible. Failure to
successfully move from one phase to the next or within a particular phase may
hinder or eliminate your chances of receiving a school bus driver endorsement.
Phase I: Application and CDL Learner Permit Process
- Complete an on-line application for a position as a Shenandoah County
School Bus Driver @ www.shenandoah.k12.va.us .
- School board policy also says that you must have a high school diploma
or a general education degree; or one to three months related experience
and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Please sign your name in the space provided certifying that you
have one of the above. By placing your initials in the space provided you
are certifying that you have either a high school diploma or a GED.
- Take and pass a test (4 different parts) at DMV to obtain your CDL
earners permit. The learners permit (school bus and passenger
endorsement) is required for you to proceed to the next step. A copy of
this permit will be placed in your file.
- A copy of your DMV record must be provided. Your DMV record indicates
to us whether or not you are in good standing. If you have a good record
you will move to the next phase provided that the 2 items above are met.
- If you are not in good standing you will be eliminated from consideration.
You will be fingerprinted by our Human Resources Department and a
Criminal Background Check will be accomplished. If you have
anything on your record, you may be eliminated from consideration. In
fact, if you have been convicted of a felony, it is illegal for the school
system to employ you.
- After successful completion of phase I, you will be scheduled for the next
You must attend and complete 24-hours of formal training.
Phase II: 24 Hours of Classroom Training
- You will be asked to complete the Department of Education Bus Driver
Physical and secure a TB test from a doctor or the health department. We
are required by law to have a negative test on file. A positive test will
eliminate you from consideration. You will be provided all documentation
on the first day of training and you must complete and return this
paperwork before moving into Phase III.
- Complete the attached document certifying that you are entering the bus
driver training for the sole purpose of becoming a school bus driver.
- Successfully complete drug and alcohol training. In addition, you will be
tested for drugs and alcohol as part of this process. A positive test for
either will eliminate you from consideration. A record of successful
completion will be placed in your file.
Phase III : Requirements
- Successfully complete 24 hours of classroom training which is conducted
by the school bus driver trainers. A record of successful completion will
be placed in your file.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 14 hours on the road with a bus
driver trainer. You will drive each type of bus that is currently in our fleet.
A record of successful completion will be placed in your file.
- Successfully complete a pre-trip inspection. A record of successful
completion will be placed in your file.
- Pass a road test conducted by a bus driver trainer to obtain your CDL
from DMV. A record of successful completion will be placed in your file.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 10 hours of training with one of the
bus drivers that is under contract with the School Board. Students will be
on the bus for this training and you will actually drive the route of the
driver that is training you. A record of successful completion will be
placed in your file.
- Successfully complete and return a physical using the EB-001 School Bus
Driver's Application For Physician's Certificate by a doctor that is in the
approved network system. This physical is paid by the school
board and one of the bus driver trainers will supply you with a copy of
this form. The completed form will be placed in your file. We reserve the
right to have the physical completed during any phase of this process.
This is an annual requirement and must be completed prior to operating a
- After you have successfully completed the above requirements you will be
given a letter from the supervisor or director of transportation indicating
that you have successfully completed all of the requirements to become a
school bus driver. A copy of this letter will be placed in your file.
- Your signature below indicates that you have read and understand all
phases of the process to become a school bus driver. Your signature also
certifies that you understand that you may be eliminated from
consideration at any point in this process.
Applicant's Signature ____________________________ Date __